A metal allergy is a form of contact dermatitis where the skin in contact becomes red, swollen and itchy. One can also develop a rash, red spots, bumps, blisters and even see pus or discharge. Seeing any signs of these on your child’s ears, usually means your child is allergic to the nickel in their earrings. Not only are nickel and other metal allergies extremely common, they can also appear out of nowhere. You can wear a pair of earrings for years only to develop symptoms suddenly. Once a metal allergy appears, it is usually with you forever.
Some ways we can prevent these painful reactions from nickel allergy for our children is by purchasing quality earrings from the start. Pure metals, such as 24K gold, sterling silver, fine silver, copper, titanium, and stainless-steel are considered hypoallergenic metals. Jewelry that is hypoallergenic generally just means the absence of nickel. Many of these metals can be costly and have limited styles our children can wear. Metals that work for some, like Surgical-grade stainless steel may still contain some traces of nickel, which can cause allergies for some.
While a nickel allergy usually is not serious, it can be painful and cause the inability to wear earrings or other jewelry. Tini Lux titanium earrings for kids are different from other "hypoallergenic" and "nickel free" earrings because we use pure, medical grade titanium as our base metal. Less than 0.6% of people are allergic to pure titanium, making it the safest metal for the human body. Rather than just removing a metal like nickel, we have removed ALL metals except titanium. They are also cost-friendly, meaning our children can have many styles to display their many personalities. Screw-back earrings for kids are increasingly popular with parents as they hold more securely and are less likely to be lost. Earrings can also present a choking hazard to children under 3, and securely screwing on their earrings can be one less thing to worry about!
Metal allergy in children can be a huge concern for many parents, as many suffer from the very same issue. By eliminating all other metals, we have taken the guesswork out of finding earrings that are safe for even the most sensitive ears. Please remember to always wash your hands before handling your child’s earrings and if you have any medical concerns with a reaction your child may have to contact your healthcare provider.