Is My Ear Piercing Infected? | Tini Lux

Is My Ear Piercing Infected?

By Jacqueline Burke

Is my ear piercing infected?

If you recently got a new ear piercing or you've had your ears pierced for a while and out of no where they become irritated, you've probably wondered if your ear piercing is infected. It can be tricky to determine if your symptoms are actually from an infection or if they are due to a metal allergy or if they are just normal symptoms of a new piercing. 
Here is our guide to figuring out if you ear piercing is infected or if you have a metal allergy and some tips on how to treat your infection or allergy you can have a happy and healthy ear piercing. 


1. Identify 

The first step is to determine whether your ear piercing is infected or if you have a metal allergy or just normal new piercing symptoms. We broke each issue down by the common symptoms:


  Infections are caused by bacteria. Infections can occur years after a person got their original piercing. The best way to avoid an infection is to always wash your hands before touching your earrings or piercings.  You should also always clean your earrings before inserting them in your ears. 
It is important to note that ear piercing infections are not caused by the material of your earrings. They are caused by bacteria getting into your body via your piercing, which is an open wound. Different earrings will not prevent or cause ear piercing infections. Ear piercing infections can only be prevented through proper hygiene and piercing care.
Extreme redness, red streaks
Warm to the touch
Fluid Discharge/Pus
Fever/Chills/Upset Stomach
    Infections can usually be distinguished from normal healing symptoms or metal allergies if they are accompanied by fever, chills, or an upset stomach. Those symptoms are unique to an infection. Additionally, infections will not go away by removing your earrings. If the symptoms do not subside when your earrings are removed then you most likely are experiencing an infected ear piercing. The only way to be sure is to see a doctor. If your piercing is indeed infected then the doctor should prescribe you antibiotics. 

    Metal Allergy:

    Fluid Discharge/Pus/Bleeding
      Metal allergies are contact allergies that affect the area of the body that is in contact with the allergen. For these reasons, metal allergy symptoms are contained to the area around the ear piercing, and typically do not include fever, chills, or an upset stomach.  With metal allergies, the body only reacts when it is in contact with the offending substance. For this reason, the pain and symptoms will go away when your earrings are removed. This is a major difference from ear piercing infections.  Allergic reactions can be prevented by wearing earrings made with non-allergenic materials.
      If you have these symptoms in a piercing that you have had for a long time, or after trying out a new pair of earrings, the cause is likely a metal allergy. It is likely that this allergy has been developing for a long time and the symptoms are just starting to manifest.

      New Piercing:

        When you get a new piercing there is trauma to your body and your body will respond as if it has been injured. This response will include redness, swelling, and tenderness. These are normal responses and should lessen and go away after time. If these symptoms do not get better after a few days then you may have an infection.

        2. Treat 

        If you indeed have an infection, you need to see a doctor and most likely will be prescribed antibiotics or an antibiotic ointment. In addition, you should clean you piercing and earrings with rubbing alcohol.  Apply an antibiotic ointment to the earring post and reinsert it. Continue this practice 3 times a day until the infection clears. 
        If you have a metal allergy, you should remove the allergen (aka the reactive earrings) and replace them with non-allergenic earrings. Our starter studs are perfect for healing an allergic reaction because they are biocompatible and do not react with the human body. They allow your piercing to heal without closing up. 
        If your symptoms are due to a new piercing, continue to follow your piercer's care instructions which most likely includes twice daily salt soaks and cleaning the area around the piercing.  Make sure your hands are clean before you touch your piercing or earrings. Make sure to rinse your piercing after showering or doing your hair to make sure that irritants were not trapped in the piercing. 

        3. Prevent

        To prevent an infected ear piercing, first and foremost make sure you choose a piercer who is experienced and who has a sterile environment. This is the most important step to avoid an infection. Choose initial earrings with posts made from biocompatible materials like medical grade titanium, or gold/stainless steel that has been alloyed for biocompatiblity. Apply the earring clasp loosely so that your ear lobe has room to swell without causing pain. Do not touch your piercing unless your hands are clean. Rinse your piercing after showering or doing your hair to make sure that irritants were not trapped in the piercing. Clean your piercings regularly and apply salt soaks as needed, especially during the healing process.
        To prevent metal allergies, choose earrings made with biocompatible metals. Metal allergies develop after being in contact with reactive metals. If you do not wear earrings with reactive metals you will not develop an allergy or have an adverse reactions. For more information on earring metals, see our article on which metals are best for sensitive ears
        1. Summit Medical Group
        2. Chronic Ink Tattoo


        Leave a comment

        Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

        Shop the Most Comfortable Earrings You'll Ever Own